Friday, February 08, 2008

Thursday - Aloha from Waikiki!

















We arrived yesterday for our annual family holiday. Christy and I ran our tempo run from downtown Waikiki beach up Diamond Head road and back down. It was humid and warm already at 6:00 a.m. but the scenery was breathtaking! We are staying at the Westin Surfrider which is a relatively health and fitness conscious resort. (They even have complimentary propel water at the front podium for runners as they depart the hotel). The weather is perfect - partly sunny and about 80 degrees f.

We spent the day realaxing beach side with the fam. Christy's hubby is an amazing surfer and she eventually talked me into going out with him tandem-surfing. Here's how it worked - I took the front of the longboard on my belly and he was on the rear of the board. As we paddled our way out, I realized just how much work surfing is as I found myself panting and my shoulders afire. I tried to keep paddling but eventually I just lay there with my hands folded under my chin soaking up the sun while Dave did the rest of the paddling. Before I knew it we were out among the other surfers waiting for our wave. I simply followed his orders "paddle" "turn" "get up! get up!". I got up on the first wave......for about 3.2 seconds. I can't believe how fast you move on the board....it's an amazing feeling as the wave moves up under you and carries you away. It was great fun....but very exhausting. Jamie has been out there at it since we checked in. He's determined to become an expert surfer before we leave for the north shore this weekend and face the real surf!

The town is abuzz with the upcoming Holiday Bowl on Sunday. We have already spotted a lot of the players around town. We have been lucky to have great weather with the occasional quick shower, it definitely beats the sub zero temps and feet of snow we are getting back at home in Canada!

No comments: